Sims Funeral Home was founded by G. L. Sims after moving to Douglas from Dublin Ga. with his wife Sallie Melton Sims and four sons, R.T., Roy, Jim, and Tom in 1904. A fifth son, Charles, better known as Charlie, was born in Douglas a year later. G.L. Sims established Douglas Undertaking Company in 1910, with its initial location at the corner of Ward Street and Madison Avenue in Douglas.
Douglas Undertaking Company moved to 114 South Madison Avenue in the 1920’s and in 1928 G. L Sims passed away leaving the operation of the family business to his widow Sallie and his oldest son R.T. In 1935 R. T. passed away and Charlie Sims became the manager of Douglas Undertaking Company associated with his brothers Roy and Tom.
In 1945, the Firm changed its name to Sims Funeral Home and moved to its present location at 201 North Peterson Avenue at the home of pioneer Douglas and Coffee County resident Benjah Peterson, who had constructed the residence in 1906. This Victorian business site has been a landmark in the Douglas community for over 75 years.
In 1960, Neil Sims, became the third generation to be a part of the traditional family practice at Sims Funeral Home, and now serves as its President and CEO. In 1984, Neil’s son Chuck became the fourth generation to become a part of the firm and he serves as its Vice-President and pre-need service director. In 2013, Charlie Sims, Chuck's Son, became the fifth generation to become a part of Sims Funeral Home, Inc.
Sims Funeral Home Inc. is devoted to the public for which it has served for over a 100 years, and holds to the tradition that every family we serve is like our own family.